Thank you Hannah Clarke

Thank you Hannah Clarke

Friday, January 6, 2012

Happy Belated Holidays, and don't sweat the new year!

Here’s hoping that everyone had a good, productive and holiday season!  I kicked off the holiday with a trip to the big city; Toronto. This involved my first train ride, my first solo subway experience, and my first visit to the Trek Toronto Store! I had a meeting with Barry, and am now on board with them! More details on events that I will be running and putting together soon!

After the very fortunate and enjoyable visit with Barry at the Trek store I hopped on a train to go to my good friend and coach Eric Batty’s place! He lives now far from his family, who run a pretty big beef farm. I spent about 5 days there this winter break and really enjoyed having the time to catch up with Eric and his family. The entire family except Emily was there, and I enjoyed the good company and hospitality (I even spent a day on the farm working with his brother Mark!).

It was easy to keep fit over the break, the trick is really just not to stress about things. If you miss a workout – it’s really not a big deal. People seem to lose motivation or hope over the holidays and set themselves up to a very high standard with a “new year’s resolution”.  It is not hard to lose weight, and much easier than one would think to be in shape. I have an awesome coach so that I can reach my full potential on the bike, but it is amazing how simple so many of my workouts are. To keep fit over the holidays I did a lot of running, hiking, and what Eric calls “mountain man workouts” (more on these another day).  

I spend about 8 hours a week on simple endurance such as hiking, obviously 8 hours is excessive – but just going for two hikes a week for up to two hours does a lot more than one would think. Over the winter I will be doing a lot of snowshoeing and Nordic skiing as well. It is not like any of this is done at a high intensity, base level aerobic exercise can be done by anyone, it does not depend on fitness level, nor does it take working up to! Just take the dog for a big walk!

So don’t sweat a crazy new year’s resolution out, most people seem to burn out by February! Just live more actively, walk to class or the groceries, eat well, and sleep lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment